Sunday, January 13, 2013

Landmine Marathan (Metal from Phoenix, AZ)


Official Facebook Page - http://www.facebook.com/landmine.marathon


Hello Krysta this is Vishal from EUMSN (a small group that are really into Extreme Metal from Nepal.

Hey Vishal . . . my answers to your questions are below in italics. Thanks for reaching out. \m/ Krysta


Vishal - What are you doing nowadays?
Krysta
- Hey Vishal! I work for an online music distribution company by day and do grind and death metal by night! I’m in a few bands right now and I love it!

Vishal - Can i get the story of your band and biography? What is the meaning of Landmine Marathon exactly means to the band?
Krysta
- I just joined Landmine Marathon but I really like the name. I think it’s kind of an interesting, hyperbolic metaphor for encountering life obstacles. Make a wrong stride - hit a mine - get blown up. The band has been around for about 8 years and the people in it are so rad. I’m stoked to be playing with them.

Vishal - What are the lyrical themes you use in your song? gore, horror, politics, anti religion etc..
Krysta
- The lyrics I’m singing now were all written by Grace Perry. There’s definitely some anti-religion stuff in there. In “Beaten and Left Blind” there’s a lyric “Your God is Dead”. There’s some gory and horrific content. There’s nothing too overtly political or topical. If any politics have made their way into the songs they’re abstracted poetically.

Vishal - How it feels to be in a Underground band esp. when your are a female in male dominant scene? And for how many years you are in this scene?
Krysta
- The underground is like a cool, huge family. There’s a lot of people I get to see and hear from in all parts of the world and I love that. It’s so awesome to play with different bands I’ve always loved and getting to know the people in them.

It’s pretty cool being a lady in a male dominated scene and because the underground is like a family there’s accountability . . . aside from some internet trolling I haven’t encountered a lot of sexism. I’m sure there are other ladies out there that are into heavy music that might be less hesitant to become involved if they see other ladies doing their thing so I’m glad to act as a role model in that sense.

All that being said, I’d prefer my gender not to be too emphasized. I think the focus should be on the virtue of the music and performance and not on physicality so much. I like that music kind of transcends gender. I remember when I first started doing extreme vocals it used to hurt my feelings if someone heard a recording and thought it was a male singer . . . now that doesn’t bother me at all.

Vishal - Which are the bands that have influenced your band most?
Krysta
- Oh man! That’s a tough one . . . Carcass, Bolt Thrower, Napalm Death just to name a few. We are all big fans of metal music.

Vishal - What are the future plans of Landmine Marathon? any tours, releases, recordings etc.
Krysta
- I just re-recorded two existing tracks and also a Rorschach cover for an upcoming compilation. We’re working on new material too.

We’re doing a west coast tour in March that will take us down to Mexico City where we’ll play OBSCENE EXTREME fest and we’re also scheduled to play OBSCENE EXTREME in Czech so we’re planning to do a European tour around that. It’s going to be a busy 2013!


Vishal - What is your opinion on sites posting Underground Materials?
Krysta
- I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand I’d like to see everyone have access to whatever music they want to listen to for free but on the other hand . . . it’s really hard to afford traveling as a touring band and paying for gear, recordings, shirts, all that stuff.

It’s extremely helpful when people are generous enough, or able, to pay a little to the artists. If no one ever paid for our music we’d not be able to tour to different places and play live.

Vishal - How do you feel about the classifications in metal? like deathcore, metalcore and other subgenres..
Krysta
- I’m into a lot of different classifications in metal. People usually classify Landmine Marathon as “death metal”.

I’m also in a band called Transient that has played a bunch around the US. People call that band “grind” or “powerviolence” but it also has some “stoner”, “hardcore”, “punk” elements. I think there is good and bad in all genres. Sometimes it seems kind of silly to have so many subgenres and that it creates unnecessary division within the general metal scene but other times I think it’s fun to have so many descriptors. I discover new genres every day it seems like . . . “mincecore” is one I just heard of recently.

Vishal - In general term metal isn't appreciated by Society what do you have to say on this?
Krysta
- Fuck society! \m/

Vishal - Ok, what do you want to tell those peoples who rips off the band hard work and illegally downloads their music?
Krysta
- I’d really like for people to understand that it’s not free for us and we’re not making tons of money . . . we all work regular jobs to support ourselves but we have to leave those jobs to tour and record. There’s a lot of musical equipment required and it breaks. It’s really difficult. If people don’t pay for the music they’re consuming it won’t be possible for it to continue to be produced.

Vishal - Beside Landmine Marathon do you have any other projects too?
Krysta
- I play a little guitar. I have a few other bands as side projects. My other main project is Transient. http://www.facebook.com/transientbrutality

Vishal - Is it hard surviving in underground Scene?
Krysta
- Yeah, when we tour we all have to leave our day jobs. Sometimes that would mean we don’t have one when we return. We don’t make a living on our music alone. We depend on our fans to pay for the shows we play and to buy our stuff so that we can make it to the next place or put out new music. I don’t care about being rich at all. I’d just like to be able to make enough so I can continue doing what I love.

Vishal - Metal has to be underground or metal has to go mainstream, what's your opinion?
Krysta
- A little of both. Some metal is destined to have mass appeal and some metal will never appeal to a majority. Screaming vocals seem to play a large role in how mainstream a band will become but it’s not always the case. It’s hard for me to even understand what’s underground and what’s mainstream anymore. Everyone’s heard of Converge right? Haha.  


Vishal - What is your opinion on the current state of underground metal?
Krysta
- I’m very immersed in it and I like it a lot.

Vishal - Can you recommend us some good bands from your country for our readers?
Krysta
- I live in Portland and we have a pretty cool local scene up here in the pacific northwest. Yob, Elitist, Stoneburner, Burials are just a few of those . . . I’ve been listening to Worm Ouroboros and Eight Bells lately. I love Magrudergrind from the DC area. Dead in the Dirt, from Atlanta, Sorrower in AZ, Converge, Gaza in SLC, and the list just goes on and on . . .

Vishal - Support Underground Metal, how much you agree on this quote?
Krysta
- 666%

Vishal - Where do our readers can buy and listen Landmine Marathon music and any other merchandise?
Krysta
- http://www.thirddegreemerch.com/landminemarathon

2 New Songs Available via iTunes!
Bile Towers: http://bit.ly/T52pFK
Dead Horses: http://bit.ly/UzujZL
http://www.facebook.com/#!/landmine.marathon


Vishal - Do you remember your first show with Landmine Marathon, How was it and how did the crowd reacted to your first show?
Krysta
- My first show was in December and it was so fun! People were rocking out and having a good time and were really friendly after the set. There’s little I enjoy more than seeing a crowd have a good experience listening to the band.

Vishal - Metal Fans from Nepal doesn't have a proper way to reach your records and any other such bands, Is there an easy way so we can also get the hold of cds, shirts etc.
Krysta
- There should be some links on our official website:

http://www.landminemarathon.com/

Vishal - Do you have any plans to come to Nepal in coming days?
Krysta
- Oh man!!! That would be so awesome. We’d love to once we can! Do you guys have many bands go through?

Vishal - What do you hate in Underground Metal? like, anything..
Krysta
- Racism, sexism, super violent or militant mentalities. Not into it.

Vishal - Your dream metal fest line up.
Krysta
- http://www.obsceneextreme.cz/america/bands.php?id=index and 

http://www.obsceneextreme.cz/cz/view.php?cisloclanku=2007050013-festival-from-a-to-z are looking pretty ideal! So glad to be playing these fests.


No comments:

Post a Comment