Wednesday, January 9, 2013

FIght The Demiurge (Slamming Brutal Death Metal from Clifton, NJ)


Official Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/fightthedemiurge

Biography :- Fight The Demiurge is a Brutal Death Metal band. Fight The Demiurge started as a deathcore side project started by 2 members of local Sludge/Stoner Metal band The Lazarus Regret, Samantha Smith and Tim Saveall in 2011.
Tim left the band January 30, 2012.
In June of 2012, Samantha started recording new material alone for Fight The Demiurge, taking the music in a very different direction and playing brutal death metal.
The Demo Mandated was released earlier this year, with artwork designed by Giovanni Jeckler of DR. JKLR DESIGNZ.
The new EP Hypostasis of The Archons was recorded at Broken Anatomy Studios and released on 11/13/2012
Fight The Demiurge ceased to be a solo project in January 2013, when Zach Krauss of Whore Torture and Stabbing Ritual fame joined on the drums, taking over from Samantha who continues to focus on Guitar, and vocals.


Hello Samantha this is Vishal from EUMSN (a small group that are really into Extreme Metal from Nepal - http://www.facebook.com/EUMSN) !!

I hope i am not bothering you and also, with due respect to your music I want to ask you few questions for Extreme Underground Metal Society Of Nepal & Thanks for taking out some precious time for EUMSN.

Samantha - No hey it's totally cool!


Vishal - What are you doing nowadays?
Samantha
- Well besides working in Broken Anatomy, my other main project, I've been writing some new FIght The Demiurge with Whore Torture drummer Zach Krauss. The man really knows his shit and since he joined Fight The Demiurge on drums we've just been nailing down idea after idea, making everything more brutal, more slammy.

Vishal - Can i get the story of your band and biography? What is the meaning of Fight the Demiurge exactly means to the band?
Samantha
- Well Fight The Demiurge originally started out as a side project to a sludge metal band I was in at the time actually. It was supposed to be a deathcore band, funnily enough. The Guitarist/Drummer left a few months later (I was just the vocalist at the time) and I started working on Broken Anatomy, learning guitar, drums, production, etc while FTD kinda just languished.
After a few months I picked the project back up and started using the name to write Brutal Death Metal under. I put out a demo last year, and then the EP Hypostasis of The Archons. Zach Krauss from Whore Torture joined this month actually on drums (january 2013) and since he came aboard we've just been throwing down idea after idea. he's pushed me to write better, heavier guitar and vocal parts too to keep up with his drumming. It's been fuckin intense.

Vishal - What are the lyrical themes you use in your song?gore, horror, politics, anti religion etc..
Samantha
- Well it varies. The Demo touched on the cruelty present in the American Meat Industry. The Second EP was more relating to my faith but in a distinctly fucking brutal way, ripping into the fallacies of our physical existence and explaining unless we strive for more all we'll ever be are sacks of rotting shit filled decaying flesh shambling on a mudball circling a ball of burning gas.

Vishal - How it feels to be in a Underground band esp. when it is the case of male dominant scene? And for how many years you are in this scene?
Samantha
- Well it's interesting... Especially being a woman in a male dominanted music form like this. I've been in the scene for something like 4 years now and it's never been easy. Most bands just don't want to play with me off the bat cuz im a woman.
When they hear my voice and realize i can growl as good if not better than half the guys they've worked with, they just go nuts and run away as fast as they can *laughs*. Its why I'm stuck doing solo and near-solo work. It's fun though, I enjoy having the creative freedom I do with my bands.

Vishal - Which are the bands that have influenced your band most?
Samantha
- Well for Fight The Demiurge, it's definitely been bands like Skinless, Deying Fetus, SUffocation, Devourment, Benighted, Cerebral Bore, those guys. And of course every nasty guttural grooving pit-riffment-spewing slam band out there. *Throws up the horns*

Vishal - What are the future plans of Fight the Demiurge? any tours, releases, recordings etc.
Samantha
- Well I'm currently working on a new album with Zach, we've got a couple songs mostly done so far. That'll be out sometime early this year, maybe march. Touring is out of the question right now, I don't have the manpower or money to pull off a tour.

Vishal - What is your opinion on sites posting Underground Materials?
Samantha
- you mean reviewing bands? it's fucking awesome. I'm glad we can get some kind of fucking exposure :)

Vishal - How do you feel about the classifications in metal? like deathcore, metalcore and other subgenres..
Samantha
- Hmm.... While I think "genreing" goes overboard sometimes, we need alot of these subgenres. I heard a guy the other day get so mad because he kept screaming mathcore and Industrial metal didn't exist. Look, if you're going out there and calling bands shit like post-melodic brutal Alterno-Orchestral blackened atmospheric depressive slamming electro-forestcore/sludgegrind, then you're a goddamn idiot. As far as the genres themselves, I'm not a fan of most metalcore though I am an unashamedly HUGE fan of Killswitch Engage, especially the early stuff with Jesse Leach. Alive or Just Breathing really shaped my development as a musician. I absolutely hate Deathcore as well but certain bands like The Acacia Strain and Whitechapel are seriously fucking massive bands with a massive pissed off sound and I love it. The only reason I don't go see TAS live is because I can't stand the fucking "hardcore" kids spinkicking in the moshpit like it's a fucking karate demonstration.

Vishal - In general term metal isn't appreciated by Society what do you have to say on this?
Samantha
- In the words of the industrial metal band Dope, "Fuck 'Em". I don't care what the mainstream listens to. Let them keep their pop. I like my metal just fine~

Vishal - Ok, what do you want to tell those peoples who rips off the band hard work and illegally downloads their music?
Samantha
- "COme see the shows, buy the merch. Do something to support the artist." With my own music, I LIKE seeing it pop up on torrent sites, it means someone liked it enough to share and more people will find out about it! If i see a site that hasn't bothered to link to the proper links however, I get in contact and say "hey, you can keep offering this for download, just add the legit purchase link and official website next to it."

Vishal - Beside Fight the Demiurge how many other projects you have? Can you tell us about those projects in few words?
Samantha
- A LOT, hah. Um, my biggest other one is Broken Anatomy, it's a death/doom metal band that's been my main solo project for a while now. I just brought in a keyboard player though so i guess it's not solo anymore. Um, I do vocals for a local metalcore band as well as a friend in sweden's black metal band, and I play guitar or drums in varying other bands. I'm also a producer, I've worked with Whore Torture and will be working with the Blackened Death Metal band Mourning on their 3rd album.

Vishal - Is it hard surviving in underground Scene?
Samantha
- Well no, but it IS hard getting anywhere.

Vishal - Metal has to be underground or metal has to go mainstream, what's your opinion?
Samantha
- Neither. It is what it is.

Vishal - What is your opinion on the current state of underground metal?
Samantha  
- Too many deathcore kiddies who bought 8 string guitars and "nerd glasses" going around playing "djent", thinking it makes them so deep and shit.

Vishal - Which is the album you want to take to your grave?
Samantha
- Novembers Doom's The Novella Reservoir.

Vishal - Can you recommend us some good bands from your country for our readers?
Samantha
- I'll try to avoid major bands. Novembers Doom (Death/Doom), Whore Torture (Slam Death Metal), Saint Avarice ("American Metal"), Gyre (Mathcore/Prog metal), Killed the Fixtion, Iratetion (Death Metal), Ill Nino, and I mean there are just so many killer bands that haven't hit it big time. Half the bands I listed are local bands that just fucking TEAR UP the local scene.

Vishal - Support Underground Metal, how much you agree on this quote?
Samantha
- YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Vishal - Where do our readers can buy and listen Fight the Demiurge music and any other merchandise?
Samantha
- Well the main site is http://fightthedemiurge.bandcamp.com and seriously, feel free to check out my other band Broken Anatomy too :p http://store.brokenanatomy.com

Vishal - Do you remember your first show with Fight the Demiurge, How was it and how did the crowd reacted to your first show?
Samantha
- We Never played a show.

Vishal - Metal Fans from Nepal doesn't have a proper way to reach your records and any other such bands, Is there an easy way so we can also get the hold of cds, shirts etc.
Samantha
- Well if you get a old of me on Facebook, I have no problem shipping things directly to fans.

Vishal - Do you have any plans to come to Nepal in coming days?
Samantha
- Hhaha, sorry man but no. Hell I don't even have the money to play a show across town xD

Vishal - What do you hate in Underground Metal?like, anything..
Samantha
- I hate the level of pretentiousness, elitism, and worship of shitty bands. I'm sorry, thrash sucks and Metallica are a bunch of fucking baboons. Dave Mustaine is a fucking loon too. Get over it, move on.

Vishal - Your dream metal fest line up.
Samantha
- Oh shit, that's unfair. Novembers Doom, My Dying Bride, Evoken, Pantheist, Skinless, benighted, Devourment, Cerebral Bore, Killswitch Engage, and The Acacia Strain are absolute musts.

Vishal - Quick top 5 albums we must have in our collection.
Samantha - Another unfair one. Novembers Doom's The Novella Reservoir, Aphotic, and Into Night's Reqiuem Infernal. My Dying Bride's A Line of Deathless Kings, and Cerebral Bore's Maniacal Miscreation.

Vishal - Lastly, a space for you anything EUMSN have forgotten to ask you can tell us here?
Samantha - Not really. Seriously, thanks for the interview :) OH! Make sure to keep an eye on Fight The Demiurge over the next few months! Remember, new album! Stay fucking brutal! \m/


If any of you are fans of Slamming Brutal Death Metal and really want to support the underground scene, check her band and show them some respect!

No comments:

Post a Comment