Thursday, December 6, 2012

Angie Decay (Underground Artist/Illustrator from Seattle, Washington)



Angie exclusively answers to Vishal of EUMSN.

Official Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/TheArtworkOfAngieDecay
Official Tumblr - http://angiedecay.tumblr.com/

She does logos, shirt designs, album/fanzine covers and border art. For pricing and info in general, send me a message or email me at: angiedecay@mindspring.com
Vishal - What are you doing nowadays?
Angie
- Working, taking care of my family, relaxing a bit so I have a clear mind to create some new sick and brutal artwork.
Vishal - Can you tell us about your journey as an artist?
Angie
- Well, its been a bit of a struggle really. At times I wanted to give up but I stuck it out. The art world and metal scene can be a bit complicated at times, especially when you’re trying to get projects and work. I stick it out though because its what I love to do.
Vishal - How it feels to be an artist in underground metal?
Angie
- It’s a total honor to be considered an underground artist. Every time I get a compliment on my artwork, it makes me feel really good and encourages me not to give up at what I love to do.
Vishal - Well EUMSN would really appreciate if you tell us more about your arts like, from where do you get inspiration and themes for your art?
Angie
- I get my inspiration and themes from all sorts of things like horror/sci-fi movies, extreme music like death metal/grindcore/goregrind, the news, problems in this world, cartoons, comics, etc.
Vishal - How long it takes to finish one art, for example like album cover art and how much you are charging for it?
Angie
- It really depends on the piece I am working on really. For album artwork, I charge anywhere between $100 to $200, and that’s for a digital copy of the artwork.

Vishal - Ok, tell us where do our readers can buy your art and review your work?
Angie
- Well, I have art prints available for $12 in the U.S. and $15 Elsewhere. All you have to do is email me at angiedecay@mindspring.com or contact me at Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheArtworkOfAngieDecay. You can also see most of my work on facebook also. Still needing to get a website made.
Vishal - What are your future plans as an artist? 
Angie
- To keep drawing away and hope one day I can fully concentrate on doing my artwork instead of have to work fulltime at a job I kind of like.
Vishal - Do you hate anything? Like anything,..
Angie
- Yeah, I hate greed, any form of government that abuses and takes advantage of its own people, people who judge me, religion, and anyone who hurts children or animals.
Vishal - Is there any art by other artist that you really appreciate?
Angie
- Yes, most definitely!!! Artists that I like and appreciate are Mark Riddick, Putrid, Lou Rusconi, Mike Majewski, Ed Repka, Reuben Splatterbeast, Mark Cooper, Mark K. Allen from Frightfeast Comics, Jose Gabriel Angeles, Pushead, Jhonen Vasquez and many more.
Vishal - Do you like to do an art for any Bands from South Asia?
Angie
- I haven’t had the opportunity yet, but if there’s any brutal bands in need of some artwork and would like something done in my style, hit me up.
Vishal - Can you name us few bands, festivals etc. that you have done art for them?
Angie
- Yeah, to name a few bands I did artwork for are: BLOODSOAKED (Mexico), PHTHISIS (NJ), CROWN OF THORNS (Mexico), ULCER (FL), GASTRORREXIS (Ecuador), LEPROSY BITCH (Peru), DESOULMENT (OH), FONDLECORPSE (Neth), THOU SHALL KILL (WA), etc., etc. For death fests, I did the promotional artwork for GUT FEST 4 based out of Canon City, Colorado.

Vishal - Which was your best art till date?
Angie
- That is a really hard question for me. I think my favorite piece is an illustration called “Zombie Fat Fuck”. It’s got a lot of guts and gore in it compared to some of my other art pieces. It got used for the new DESPISE THE SON “Killed By Corn Syrup” t-shirt design. Also it’s going to be featured in ORGAN ‘Zine, a fanzine created by underground artist, PUTRID (AKA Matt Carr).
Vishal - In general term Extreme metal/Art isn't appreciated by Society what do you have to say on this?
Angie
- Well, if someone don’t like the artwork, they can just look away. Society doesn’t stop me from creating brutal artwork and never will. People are afraid of what they don’t understand. And that is mindset, unfortunately, with most of the world’s population. Atleast in my opinion.
Vishal - Ok, what do you want to tell those peoples who rips off your hard work?
Angie - As a matter of fact I do have something to say to scumbag rip offs since I am a victim of it. They can eat shit and die. It’s total bullshit. You work hard at doing artwork or even try to give a band a deal by trading merchandise and they stab you in the back. I’m not going to mention the band’s name because they’re not worth the time or day if you ask me. They’ll get theirs one day.
Vishal - How hard it's surviving in Underground Scene?
Angie
- It’s pretty hard. You have to really love what you do. If you’re doing artwork for the money then the underground scene is not the place to get work at. I enjoy doing artwork for the metal scene and hope to continue creating brutal artwork for people as long as they give me the chance to.
Vishal - What do you use when you are doing art? 
Angie
- I keep it pretty simple by using a 2H pencil to sketch out the drawing and then go over it with a .01 micron pen to complete the illustration.
Vishal - In near days, do you have any plan to put a exhibition show of you art?
Angie
- I would like to. It’s a matter of finding people out in my area to help me out with that. Every once in a while I have my friend Charlie Drown let me display some of my artwork at her shows. We’ll see what happens in the future. I do have an art book titled “FETAL CIRCUS – The Artwork Of Angie Decay” due to be out soon so there will be a book release party following its release.
Vishal - Metal has to be underground or metal has to go mainstream, what's your opinion?
Angie
- I think true metal should stay underground. Screw all that mainstream crap.
Vishal - Lastly, a space for you anything EUMSN have forgotten to ask you can tell us here?
Angie
- Thank you so much for the awesome interview. I really appreciate your support. Everyone support EUMSN and stay true to the underground. Cheerz and Best Regardz. \m/\m/

No comments:

Post a Comment