Sunday, January 13, 2013

Epicardiectomy - GUTTURAL BULLDOZER SLAM BRUTALITY



Official Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/epicardiectomy

Hello Serge this is Vishal from EUMSN (a small group that are really into Extreme Metal from Nepal) !!

Hi Vishal, thank you for interview, I never done an interviews for the zines from your country yet so it’s my pleasure bro!

I hope i am not bothering you and also, with due respect to your music I want to ask you few questions for Extreme Underground Metal Society Of Nepal & Thanks for taking out some precious time for EUMSN.

No problem bro, thank you for doing this interview and supporting Epicardiectomy!


Vishal - What are you doing nowadays?
Serge - Well, after releasing our debut full-length we have a big job on promoting it, played a few gigs here in Czech Republic and abroad, went to a 2 weeks tour to Russia and Ukraine to present our brand new stuff to the fans from there. At the moment we are writing a new material for the second album. We have two brand new songs ready so we’re plan to record them as a new promo in the beginning of the next year. 

Vishal - Can i get the story of your band and biography? What is the meaning of Epicardiectomy exactly means to the band?
Serge - The band was founded in year 2007 by our drummer Milan. Since that time there was a lot of changes in line-up, too long to list them all.. In the year of 2009 Tom (vocals) and me on guitars joined the band and since then we are doing what we do till nowadays. Since that time we recorded two demos, a material for split CD with Kraanium and Dormant Carnivore, and released a full-length album, and played big amount of gigs in our country and abroad.
Well, the name Epicardiectomy is not carrying any sacral meaning for us if you think so, our drummer picked it up just because he thought that it is a sick and good sounding name for a slamming brutal death metal band.

Vishal - What are the lyrical themes you use in your song?gore, horror, politics, anti religion etc..
Serge - Lyrical themes are typical enough for the style, it’s about gore, murder and horror. We don’t take the lyrical side really serious, for us it’s just a part of the genre and we follow it with passion. It’s a death metal man! J But on the next album we plan to make the lyrics more deep, touch more global aspects of death, mass people extermination and stuff like that. We’ll see how it will be but we’re sure it won’t be worse than what we have done before.

Vishal - How it feels to be in a Underground band? And for how many years you are in this scene?
Serge - Feels definitely good. I’m felt in love in heavy music when I was 12 or 13 years old and joined my first metal band when I was 16. So I can say that I’m in this scene more than half of my life. This is long way, and all this years I was following and supporting the scene the best I could. This is inseparable and very important part of my life, my love and my passion.  

Vishal - Which are the bands that have influenced your band most?
Serge - Our music was influenced in the beginning by well known slam death metal bands like Cephalotripsy, Devourment, Abominable Putridity, Vomit Remnants, Disconformity, Digested Flesh. I am personally in writing music for Epicardiectomy besides the bands I already mentioned was very influenced by old NYDM bands like Internal Bleeding, Pyrexia, Dehumanized and others. But now I think we already have our own sound that the people can recognize and we are definitely moving our own way, trying to create Epicardiectomy unique style.


Vishal - What are the future plans of Epicardiectomy? any tours, releases, recordings etc.
Serge - Now we’re writing a new material, want to release a new promo in the beginning of the next year. Also, we have some gigs planned here in Czech Republic and also a European mini-tour in May, 2013 with Vulvectomy and Acranius. If we will have enough time to finish a work on a new songs may be we will release a new CD next year. Who knows, we’re usually trying not to look that far ahead J.

Vishal - What is your opinion on sites posting Underground Materials?
Serge -I think it’s a very good opportunity for fans to find out new bands on the scene, take a chance to listen to new records. I’m happy that there are still a lot of sites, zines and just a bloggers who keeps on supporting brutal music and giving bands and fans a chance to find each other. 

Vishal - How do you feel about the classifications in metal? like deathcore, metalcore and other subgenres..
Serge - Actually I don’t listen too much to metalcore or deathcore stuff but I’m pretty much okay with it. Why not, it’s always been like that, the new genres appearing and they have to have the names too. For example you can’t just call deathcore a death metal because it’s not. It has a lot of influences from hardcore music and you can’t just ignore that. 

Vishal - In general term extreme metal isn't appreciated by Society what do you have to say on this?
Serge - Well, extreme music was always a kind of protest and opposition to the society’s values and of course any kind of protest is not appreciated by society. I accept that and I don’t care because I was always opposing myself to what the “normal” people were doing in the way I was dressing up, to the music I listened to and played etc. 

Vishal - Ok, what do you want to tell those peoples who rips off the band hard work and illegally downloads their music?
Serge - Haha, I don’t mind if there a websites are posting MP3 and people downloading it. Yes, the bands put their money and time and talent to their music, and I also do… but for the fuck sakes if the fan wants to support you he will buy your CD anyway. Nowadays there’re hundreds of new bands appears every day, you can’t just buy all of their CDs. And, also we have to remember about the poor people, who still love heavy music who just can’t afford to buy the CDs of all the bands he likes. So for me is better to those people to listen to my stuff by downloading it than not to listen at all.


Vishal - Beside Epicardiectomy do you have any other projects too?
Serge - I don’t have too much time for other projects besides Epicardiectomy because of work now. But we’re currently reanimating my old band Fleshbomb which I started back in 1999. We released one full-length album called “At the first stage of perversion” back in 2004 and after that the band was on-hold for a long time because of my move to another country. But now we have a new line-up and new material ready for the second full-length which will be released this year. So don’t miss this piece of brutal death sickness! 

Vishal - Is it hard surviving in underground Scene?
Serge - Hmm, that’s interesting how can you call a surviving playing your favorite style of music, releasing the CDs, playing the gigs and having fans who love what you’re doing? It’s a passion, the way of life, call it anyhow but survival is the last word would ever come to my mind in connection to what I’m doing. I’m happy to have my fans listen to my stuff and if there will be more people who will like it, I will be more happy. But if you mean popularity and fame and shit like that, I don’t think it has anything to do with brutal scene and underground music and I don’t care about it.

Vishal - Metal has to be underground or metal has to go mainstream, what's your opinion?
Serge - Metal can’t go mainstream; it always was the music “not for the masses”. I don’t mean the modern metalcore or whatever bands here; I do not consider it as a real metal though I possibly could like some of them. But the real metal music is just not listenable for a “normal” people upon to my opinion and never been. 

Vishal - What is your opinion on the current state of underground metal? 
Serge - I’m sure that the underground metal scene is strong now, and probably even stronger than it was 10 years ago or so. A lot of new bands appearing, many of them are far not too good hehe but still it means that there’s an undying interest to metal music and that’s pretty awesome.

Vishal - Which is the album you want to take to your grave?
Serge - Hard to say which will be the one but if I could take a few, there sure should be Slayer “Reign in blood”, ”Death “Symbolic”, Sepultura “Arise”, Cannibal Corpse “Bleeding”, Broken Hope “Loathing”, Suffocation “Pierced from within”, Vader “Black to the blind”, Cryptopsy “None So Vile”... It’s just a first few came on my mind. There’re way more albums which I consider as a genius and love each song from them, so for me it’s pretty difficult question haha

Vishal - Can you recommend us some good bands from your place for our readers?
Serge - Well, hard to say “my place”. Originally I am from Russia but for the last 6 years I live in Czech Republic which is famous with its huge grindcore scene. Carnal Diafragma, Spasm, Ahumado Granujo, Alienation Mental (RIP), Prefecitizen, Mincing Fury, Jig-Ai, Choked By Own Vomits, Cerebral Turbulency… The best death metal bands I think are Godless Truth, Fleshless, Imperial Foeticide (RIP), Krabathor (RIP). From Russian bands the best are 7.H.Target, Katalepsy, Abominable Putridity, Aborted Fetus, Scrambled Defuncts, Preverse Dependance, Cephalic Impurity..   

Vishal - Support Underground Metal, how much you agree on this quote?
Serge - Totally agree, I think you could see it from my answers! 

Vishal - Where do our readers can buy and listen Epicardiectomy music and any other merchandise?
Serge - You guys can buy our CDs and merch directly from us by visiting our online store http://epicardiectomy.bigcartel.com/ or buy it from our label http://www.coyoterecords.ru/ You can also download it or still it, we don’t care if you dig what you hear!

Vishal - Do you remember the feeling of your first show with Epicardiectomy? and how did the crowd reacted to your first show?
Serge - Can’t really remember the first show with Epi, it was a local gig in some small club and there weren’t too many people. But I can’t any bad show during all the time we play together, every time it’s a new experience, new emotions, and new people. We love to play live!

Vishal - In near future if any band from Nepal aproaches to you for a Split Album, are you goin to approve this?
Serge - Why not, we are always open for the new cooperation and stuff like that. But it has to be a moment when we have a material which we can use for it. At this period of time we are not participating any split CDs because all the new material we are working on now we will use for our second full-length.

Vishal - Any tour plans for Nepal in coming days?
Serge - That would be great to visit your country; I know it’s very beautiful but no such plans for this period of time. A lot of people writing to us and asking like guys, when are you coming to Indonesia.. or South America.. or Philippines.. or Nepal. Of course we would love to do that but unfortunately we can’t go that far for now, travel expenses are too high for us. But someday I hope we can make it!

Vishal - What do you hate in current underground scene?
Serge - I don’t really hate something. But there are some things of course which I could not really like. I can’t do anything to myself but I don’t really like a zillion one-man-home-produced-shitty-sound-drum-machine on the current underground stage calling themselves a bands… There’re people trying to find a musicians for their real bands, spending their time for rehearsals and composing the music together, practicing, trying to make the production of their music better on the one side; and some guy sitting at home and recording some shitty riffs with drum machine and calling himself on internet as a death metal band one on the other side. Of course I’m not talking here about some great one-man bands like Putrid Pile, Insidious Decrepancy, Bloodsoaked and few others who are doing an awesome professional music and have the strong positions on underground scene. Anyway, I don’t hate them or something… I always have my opinion that if you don’t like it – don’t listen to it. So I just don’t listen to them much.

Vishal - Your dream metal fest line up. 
Serge - I would really love to visit some death metal fest where would play all amazing NYDM bands like Pyrexia, Suffocation, Internal Bleeding, Dehumanized, Skinless, Entorturment (RIP), Repudilation (RIP)… I’m sure that would be hat would be the hell of a fest bro!

Vishal - Quick top 5 albums we must have in our collection.
Serge - Hmm, I think I listed more than 5 in the question about albums I’ll take to my grave, okay, will give some more here J Let it be:
1. Deeds of Flesh “Reduced to Ashes”
2. Pyrexia “Sermon Of Mockery”
3. Pantera “Far Beyond Driven”
4. Decapitated “winds Of Creation”
5. Cryptopsy “None So Vile”

Vishal - Lastly, a space for you anything EUMSN have forgotten to ask you can tell us here?
Serge - Thanks a lot for interesting questions! Support brutal music, we hope to visit your country one day and to be able to play some putrid tunes for your fans! Stay sick!!

No comments:

Post a Comment